COMPLETE ABGs interpretation for nurses – fast and easy with examples!
How to interpret Arterial Blood Gases ABG’s for Nurses QUICKLY! (2020)
Always consider the patients condition first. You never want to interpret an ABG and that it. Look at the patients situation and consider what state they could be then utilize objective data to further provide evidence or support your findings. PATIENT FIRST! ALWAYS! The NCLEX also expects this of you!
1. Look at pH = acidosis or alkalosis?
2. PaCO2 = acidosis or alkalosis?
3. HCO3 = acidosis or alkalosis?
4. Which of PaCO2 and HCO3 matches pH?
5. Compensation – Is it FULL? Is it partial? Is it NONE?
Practice questions: https://abg.ninja/abg